Monday, May 25, 2009

Bhutan - A Closed Country


This week I want to introduce you to Bhutan, a nation that is closed to the gospel and a young man with whom I have been in contact.  For his safety I will call him Joe.

Joe contacted me regarding mission trips and ministry some time ago while he was away from home and his country getting an education.  He had many questions and wanted prayer support and encouragement.  After graduation, he returned home keeping in communication with me for a while.  Suddenly he dropped out of contact for quite some time until this last week.

Bhutan is a closed nation in many ways even beyond religion and evangelism.  Another man that I have also been in contact with even longer than Joe, told me that an outsider can only visit Bhutan as a tourist with one of the Bhutan owned tour guide companies and you are limited to their agendas and locations.  In further conversations, I was told something that really struck a cord in me.  You know how many young people, and I was one of them, would go camping or back packing to get away to do what you wanted in peace and not be caught by the law or authorities?  Well this pastor told me that that is what they have do to have prayer meetings and worship services.  They all back pack into the mountains and meet together for prayer and worship.  The thought came to me how we used to do this to do ungodly things and they have to do this to pursue God and pray together. 

I have included Joe’s message to you in this post, which I have edited, so that you will be able to pray for Joe, the House Churches and Christians in Bhutan.  Please also remember they are in need of Bibles as well. 
John, I am sorry for not being able to keep in touch with you.  I had been to a very remote part of our nation, Bhutan, where there is no motor roads.  We have to walk and carry our things on horse back to get to these very remote villages where there is not electricity or internet facilities and etc.  Despite difficulties, we have begun a house cell church with 15 members. This is the first fellowship in this area of Bhutan.  Previously to our arrival no one had heard what and who Jesus is, but now more people are coming to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Please keep praying for these new believers.